NewQuay tower approved

NewQuay tower approved
Shane Scanlan

*This article was published 10 years ago

The City of Melbourne last month approved a 17-storey residential tower, to be built at the NewQuay Piazza site.

The apartment building proposed by MAB Corporation was met with unanimous approval from councillors at the April 21 Future Melbourne Committee meeting.

However, Cr Rohan Leppert raised some concerns about the development, saying there were a few aspects of the proposal he was “quite uncomfortable about”.

The tower will be located at the southern end of what is currently the NewQuay Piazza, on a site originally earmarked as a hotel in the development plan for the piazza precinct.

The proposal also includes plans for a 2000sqm public park to the north of the building above a basement car park associated with the residential tower.

“I’m uncomfortable with willingly creating a whole lot of double ownership spaces within the City of Melbourne, where they’ll be privately owned underground but publicly owned above ground,” Cr Leppert said.

He also raised questions about the fact the use was now residential as opposed to the hotel originally proposed in the development plan for the precinct.

However, a council officer said the development plan allowed for a hotel or apartments on the site and a hotel would be built within the development precinct (in the Hiap Hoe development on the western side of the piazza), therefore achieving the intent of the development plan.

Cr Aaron Wood welcomed news of the park saying the “green open space will be a welcome addition to Docklands.” •

Meet Peta Brehaut

Meet Peta Brehaut

May 29th, 2024 - Docklands News
Join Our Facebook Group
ad