Columns
10 years on Image

10 years on

New Southern Star revealed
Read more >>

Away from the desk Image

Away from the desk

The little bent tree
Read more >>

Docklander Image

Docklander

Rapt with life in Docklands
Read more >>

Docklands Secrets Image

Docklands Secrets

Conflicting speeds
Read more >>

Chinese

港区超市 疫情热点
Read more >>

Critic

A vote for uncertainty
Read more >>

Owners' Corporation Management

Performance-based alternative solutions the key to cheaper cladding replacement costs
Read more >>

Fashion Image

Fashion

Top five street style trends
Read more >>

Health and Wellbeing Image

Health and Wellbeing

Four steps to minimise work from home postural pain
Read more >>

Letters Image

Letters

An open letter to Michael and Andrew Buxton, MAB Corporation
Read more >>

History

An apple a day keeps the docks busy
Read more >>

Housing All Australians

Housing for all makes “good business sense”
Read more >>

Business Image

Business

Making Docklands City Pharmacy a household name
Read more >>

Owners Corporation Law Image

Owners Corporation Law

COVID Q&A: Private renovations, cladding rectifications and nuisance from pets
Read more >>

Maritime

Reflecting on the power of our docks
Read more >>

Pets Corner Image

Pets Corner

Ty the adorable rescue
Read more >>

SkyPad Living Image

SkyPad Living

Do COVID-19 clouds have a silver or red lining for vertical villages?
Read more >>

State MP

After COVID-19: do we want to go back to “normal”?
Read more >>

Street Art Image

Street Art

Goodbye from Blender Studios
Read more >>

Sustainability

How fast is fast fashion?
Read more >>

The District

Your local delicatessen has arrived!
Read more >>

We Live Here Image

We Live Here

Airbnb CEO “has mucked it all up”
Read more >>

Abby's Angle  Image

Abby's Angle

Taking the next step
Read more >>

Editions
August 09 Edition Cover

Council reinstates Docklands fireworks

02 Oct 2009

(Updated story - Oct 6) - Melbourne City Councillors have reinstated the Docklands 9.15pm New Year’s Eve family fireworks following a decision in late August to cancel the show.

Councillors say they were unaware they were voting to cancel the event when the matter came before them in late August.

The decision to cancel the event had rocked Docklands residents and businesses with the president of the Docklands Chamber of Commerce Keith Rankin labeling the decision “an absolute disaster”.

“The chamber of commerce is mortified,” Mr Rankin said. “Everyone down here looks forward to it and promotes it as part of their business activities.”

“To make this decision now, when we’ve been promoting it all year and have been taking bookings is unbelievable.”

“We just don’t understand it,” Mr Rankin said. “There is no justifiable reason for it”.

Docklands restaurateur Lou Jovanovski said: “We will not give up. The excuses are just that, excuses. I do not understand how they are safe at midnight but not at 9.30? It is ridiculous.”

“Every other country, state and town in the world can achieve this but our City of Melbourne seems to have missed the boat again. We will not have the kids miss out,” Mr Jovanovski said.

In a “fact sheet” sent to Docklands businesses, the council said Southern Cross Station could not cope with New Year’s Eve crowds.  “Public safety must outweigh all commercial endeavours or considerations,” the council said.

But the president of the Docklands Community Association Roger Gardner said: “The reasons given are public safety apparently related to size of the audience and rail transportation. To the best of our knowledge there have not been any problems in either way.”

“No overcrowding has previously been evident or reported and the crowds have been well behaved. In terms of public transport, we believe from discussions with the police and others that public transport including the trains coped well. We also believe that there have been no safety problems. We are therefore wondering on what the decision was based.”

“Removing the event would fly in the face of all the effort being put in to promoting Docklands for tourism and as a key place for staging events, as well as a leading restaurant and other business area,”
Mr Gardner.

City councillors say they did not realise they were canceling the Docklands event when they voted to move the CBD 9.15pm show to Yarra Park.

The chairman of the Docklands Co-ordination Committee, Cr Kevin Louey, said the report prepared by council staff and used by councillors to make their decision on August 24 did not say that the 9.15 family show would be scrapped.

“I’ve had another look at the report and it didn’t say they (the Docklands 9.15pm show) were included or not included,” he said. “We will fight to put it back in.”

Cr Louey said the family fireworks at Docklands cost only $25,000 out of a New Year’s Eve budget of nearly $1.5 million.

“Because the infrastructure for the midnight show is already there, it will cost them peanuts to put on the early show,” Cr Louey said.

Cr Peter Clarke agreed that it was never the intention of councillors that the Docklands event be cancelled. He said he supported its retention and was confident that, unless police had safety concerns, the family fireworks would proceed.

Share on Facebook

Stay in touch with Docklands. Subscribe to FREE monthly e-Newspaper.

You must be registered with Docklands News to be able to post comments.
To register, please click here.