All in a day’s work for Pete
A fire on NewQuay Promenade was quickly extinguished last month when a local worker jumped into action.
Peter Brundell was working on the Harbour Esplanade wharf rectification site on March 26 when he noticed a bin on fire on the NewQuay Promenade.
Dragging a hose from the work site, Mr Brundell promptly put out the blaze just as the Fire Brigade arrived.
According to senior station officer Tony McCoy, bin fires are prevalent across the city and result in multiple call-outs each day.
He said they were generally caused by people disposing of cigarette butts without ensuring they were butted out.
He advised people to be more vigilant about ensuring cigarette butts were extinguished before being discarded.